As a centre for beer brewing , Burton generated a great deal of freight traffic. In fact Burton itself was criss-crossed by the lines of the brewery companies' private lines, with a plethora of level crossings . In 1870 a new locomotive shed was built to the south of the station. This consisted of a roundhouse built round a 42-foot (13 m) turntable . In 1892 another roundhouse was added, with a 50-foot (15 m) turntable. In 1923 these were replaced by 57-foot (17 m) and 55-foot (17 m) turntables respectively. Originally coded "2" by the Midland Railway , it became 17B in 1935. By 1948 it had 111 locomotives allocated to it. With the arrival of diesel locomotives , [ citation needed ] a reorganisation of motive power districts in the London Midland Region took place in September 1963.  Under this, the former Nottingham (16), Derby (17) and Toton (18) divisions were amalgamated, with Toton as the main shed for the division; this was coded 16A,  and Burton-on-Trent became 16F.  Steam traction was removed from this depot in September 1966,  and it closed in to steam in 1968 but carried on for diesel locomotive fueling and stabling.